Who we are, what we do
Health Issues India is an online news portal dedicated to exclusive and comprehensive coverage of the issues surrounding health and development affecting the people of the Indian subcontinent. Our readers include policymakers, health professionals working in the government, private and non-profit sector, research and the media.
Our reportage spans a broad range of issues and topics. We aim to cover every aspect of the conversation India is having – or, in some respects, should be having – about the health of its citizens, its states and union territories, and the nation as a whole.
The issues we cover include
- the ongoing issues surrounding access to healthcare and medicines, fuelled by low government spending and resources outmatched by the health needs of India’s 1.3 billion plus population
- rising rates of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), which now account for 61 percent of all deaths in the country
- the continued threat of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis (TB) and malaria
- efforts to promote access to vital medical devices and pharmaceuticals and the conflict this often engenders between India and foreign governments and companies
- the rising popularity of ayurveda, yoga, unani, naturopathy, siddha and homoeopathy (AYUSH) treatments and the many potential advantages and pitfalls of their integration within India’s public health system
- access to medicines, rising rates of NCDs, continuing threat of infectious diseases such as TB and malaria, and access to vital medical devices
In composing our articles, we draw extensively from a range of data sources
- major Indian newspapers
- digital media outlets
- scientific journals and literature.
We also benefit from a network of contacts within the Indian press and the international health and development community, whose expert insights into the various issues India faces informs our coverage of such issues and our exploration of potential solutions.
Submit stories and pictures on health
Would you to like to submit stories or articles to our website? All stories will carry the author’s name.
You can email your stories via our contact page